Do you know what the difference is between Murphy wall beds and Furl wall beds? In fact I suppose it might be worth asking if you even know what a Murphy bed is first. Let alone the difference between the two. So first, I will explain what they actually are.
A little background on Murphy wall beds
A Murphy bed is also known as a pull-down bed, a wall bed or a fold-down bed. But the real reason they are actually called Murphy Beds is all down to the person that designed them – William Lawrence Murphy. Some say that Murphy was actually an opera singer, living in a small one-room apartment in San Francisco. The moral code of the time frowned upon women entering a man’s bedroom. So Murphy invented the Murphy Bed, and his invention converted his bedroom into a parlour. This meant he could then entertain.
Although wall beds were actually already available to purchase before Murphy invented his bed in 1912, his were the first to include pivot and counterbalanced designs, for which he received a series of patents.
Why do people still call them murphy beds now then?
Murphy beds are a little bit like a ‘Hoover’, as in a vacuum cleaner. Not many people know that Hoover was actually a brand. And it was a very well known brand too. It was just normal to refer to your vacuum cleaner as a hoover. Because that’s the name that everyone used. Murphy wall beds are sort of similar. They were a very well known American wall bed brand, although in the UK Murphy beds were not generally known as such. The key word there though is were. As the original Murphy Bed company no longer exists. The great news for you though, is Furl wall beds now do exist.
so what is the difference between murphy wall beds and Furl wall beds?
- The weight – Murphy wall beds were known for being incredibly heavy to lift. Of course designed back in 1912, available pivot and counterbalances were far different from those available now. Furl wall beds are very easy to open and close, the majority of the work being done by the gas pistons.
- The quality – The mechanism, although it uses the same techniques as the Murphy bed, has seriously improved. In functionality and quality. Furl use a steel mechanism, bolted gas pistons which means that you can actually change them if you ever need to, and inset laminated beech slats. This means that you sleeping on a real, very normal bed base.
- The mattress depth – Although this varies, most wall beds only allow for specially made mattresses. They also often only come with one mattress option, which has to be purchased alongside the mechanism. Any mattress, from anywhere, can be used within Furl wall beds. Providing they don’t exceed 22cm. This means that you can find a mattress that suits you.
- Internal storage – Murphy beds were purely designed with storing the mattress in mind. But as storage specialists, Furl decided to go one step further. We created a wall bed, with internal storage too. It’s called our Vertico 60, and has two 25cm deep shelves and a storage box for all of your pillows, duvet and perhaps even a dressing gown too.
- The finished look – Murphy beds have always been designed to just look like cupboards. But at Furl, we wanted you to actually be able to use the space in front of the wall bed when it’s closed. So we have the option to add a desk. The desk actually remains flat when you put the bed down, so you can also leave items on it.
Furl wall beds are designed for everyday use
Our wall beds have daily use in mind. This is why they have easy to use mechanisms, the choice of a headboard, the choice of one of our high quality mattresses, or the option to use another one if you prefer. They are available with internal storage, external storage, and in white, oak or walnut. You can have a slim unit, a deep unit or even a horizontal unit. And they can be fitted to any wall, yes including plasterboard.
Murphy wall beds were a fantastic invention, and served a great purpose for many years. We have taken this great invention, improved on it and modernised it. Furl wall beds are known for their quality, everything is made everything to order, with you in mind.